Please Read Carefully!!
• THERE IS NO AUDITION RECORDING NECESSARY.
• The fee to enter the competition is $20
• Each person wanting to participate must submit a Players Competition APPLICATION and $20 FEE. You may submit an application at any time, but please note that ONLY 8 APPLICATIONS WILL BE ACCEPTED! Applications will be accepted on a FIRST COME/FIRST SERVED basis. APPLY EARLY! Deadline for application submission is 10am on April 24, 2015.
• There will be only 1 playing competition category: Solo – Electronic enhancement, accompaniment, reverb, or any other type of effect is not permitted. The flute playing must be “dry,” although it will be amplified for the competition. Multi-chambered flutes are NOT allowed.
• Contestants will be expected to perform at the Musical Echoes Native American Gathering and Cultural Event in Ft. Walton Beach, FL, on Friday, April 24, 2015, for a panel of judges.
• What you will need to do: Each contestant will perform live on stage for a panel of judges. Each contestant will be required to perform 3 songs. These songs will consist of 1: a slower, more lyrical-style piece, 2: a faster, more rhythmic-style piece, and 3: Amazing Grace. Each song is limited to 2 minutes in length. The songs can be prepared, or improvised. The choice is up to the contestant.
• What will happen: Each entrant will perform his “slower/more lyrical” selection. Once all contestants have played the first song, then each contestant will play his “faster/more rhythmic” selection. Then each contestant will play his own version of AMAZING GRACE. Each piece should be no longer than 2 minutes in duration. Different flutes may be used for each song, however, only 1 flute per song can be used (no changing flutes mid-song, or playing 2 flutes at the same time).
• No sacred tribal songs.
• Native American-style wood or cane flutes are to be used in competition. Multiple chamber melodies are NOT allowed. A multi-chamber flute can be used as long as the bird is removed from one chamber, and the judges only hear sound from the remaining 1 chamber.
• Applications and fees must be received by 0am on Friday April 24, 2015. THERE WILL ONLY BE 8 APPLICATIONS ACCEPTED.
• Application fees are not refundable.
• Judges, Musical Echoes Board members, 2014 Musical Echoes paid guest artists, and immediate families of the above are ineligible to enter the playing competition.
• All contestants are responsible for their own expenses, including accommodations and transportation.
• Alcohol possession and/or consumption is prohibited at this event. Anyone violating this rule will be disqualified and asked to leave immediately.
• All decisions of the judges are final.
• We congratulate any contestant who chooses to release a CD at Musical Echoes, but we require that such activities do not interrupt or conflict with any official Musical Echoes' events. In addition, any CD release by a contestant can only occur AFTER the Playing Competition. This is necessary in order to protect the integrity of the competition.
All of the 8 contestants entering the competition will receive the exclusive handmade Musical Echoes pewter flute necklace.
Flute Players Competition Awards